1 2 > 
1 of 2
pH monitoring equipment
Posted: 12 March 2010 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-11-01

I think I do need to monitor the pH of my cheese.  I’m a bit bewildered by the variety of equipment out there.  What would you recommend for affordable (under $100, anyway) pH meters?  And how many different solutions do you need to buy with a meter?

Posted: 12 March 2010 11:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

This has been discussed in great lengths a while ago and can be searched for.
PHH-7X is the popular one and having both solutions is required.
The main thing to remember the tips have a shelf life and always keep them moist.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 12 March 2010 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  451
Joined  2008-11-16

Joanna….
Not sure where you are located but in the states there are two that seem to be very popular:
Extech Ph110 (around $100.00) and Hanna Checker I (anywhere from $25.00 to $40.00 depending upon where you buy it).
Both of these meters can be bought on Ebay as well as on Amazon.com. Either place can give you a good deal on a fairly accurate meter.
As for the solutions you need to get 7.01 and 4.01 reference solutions and a cleaning solution. These can usually be had at the same place you purchase your meter.
I would stay away from the single test packages of these solutions since you will want to use fresh solution every few weeks. These are the solutions that help to calibrate the meter to make sure your readings are correct.
I can’t recall where I purchased my last calibration solutions but I know they came in 8 oz. bottles for about $6.95 each. That is a LOT of solution that will last quite awhile.
If you google “ph calibration solutions” I’m sure you will get quite a few hits to choose from. I’m sure that’s what I did and will do again when I need more.
Measuring Ph will change everything about the way in which you make cheese and you will finally turn out the final product you are looking for.
My goal was to make a cheese that had both the flavor and texture of a “store bought” cheese and I’ve since found that a Ph meter will give you that texture but the taste far surpasses what can be purchased.
If you need other information don’t hesitate to ask. I’m a little short on time right now but I will be sure to answer as quickly as possible.

Dave

Signature 

Middleton Street Weather-Illinois and National Weather Information

Posted: 13 March 2010 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-01

Thank you, Dave!  Two more questions, for whenever you have time: Are reference solutions, calibrating solutions and buffering solutions all the same thing?  And do you use storage solution as well as cleaning solution?

Posted: 13 March 2010 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

I alwasy wash my prob each time after testing, when im done i store #7buff solution in the tips cap. Their is a cleaning solution for milk enzymes but have never used it.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 15 March 2010 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2008-11-01

Thanks all. Sorry, one last question: do I need to use Hanna calibration, cleaning and storage solutions with the Hanna Checker 1, or can I use the cheaper General Hydroponics solutions?

Posted: 15 March 2010 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

? dont know what that is LOL
I just use the omega Buffer solution ph4.00/7.00 The stuff is cheap and will last years.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 15 March 2010 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-16

Joanna….
The Reference solution is the actual liquid that is used, by the meter, when a measurement is taken. Brands like the Extech Ph110 have refillable reference solutions.
As for buffer/calibration solutions, they are the same thing.
As of yet I have not used the cleaning or storage solutions. I do believe them to be a good idea and plan on purchasing them once I need some more calibration solution. The tip of the probe can build up with protein deposits and the cleaning solution is necessary to remove this build up easily.
The less expensive calibration solutions are perfectly fine for whatever meter you plan on buying.
I’ve used the brand you mentioned with no problems whatsoever. Expect to spend around $7.00 for an 8 oz. bottle of calibration solution and used properly it will last for a long time.
While waiting for your new meter to arrive you might check out both The University of Guelph and Peter Dixon’s website. They both contain recipes that include the Ph markers that are important.
I’m really looking forward to hearing how you like making cheese using a Ph meter. It can be a bit intimidating at first but I’m certain you will eventually wonder how you ever made cheese without one.
The only thing that I DON’T like about using a meter is that at times it seems difficult to find time to take a reading when you need to be doing something else during the make. Also, it gets a little tedious taking a reading every few minutes when you know you are approaching an important marker.
Other than that, it WILL help you to turn out the quality of cheese you are looking for. As I’ve said before I feel a Ph meter is just as important as a thermometer when it comes to making good cheese.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I’m not an expert at this but I am happy to share the knowledge that I have.

Dave

Signature 

Posted: 15 March 2010 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Dave, you also make a very persuasive argument in favor of the meter.  You’ll be pleased to know that I have FINALLY gotten around to ordering one for myself.  I’ve wondered about something you mentioned above - the need to do frequent checks when you’re getting close to a target.  How long does it take to do an individual check?

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 15 March 2010 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  410
Joined  2004-07-16

I think I’ve suggested this before, but here it is again grin

If you post a recipe to the site, and you’ve used a meter, please include the ph readings you obtained. I started using a meter this year and am making measurements at the pre-rennet stage, after cutting the curds, and again after cooking the curds (if applicable). I haven’t done this enough to start drawing any conclusions and don’t have reference ph’s to refer to (I’ll check out the web sites referenced above). Itt would be good to know what other people measure at various stages and how the cheese eventually turned out. Of course, lots of things will affect the outcome, but I’m curious about ph.

Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 16 March 2010 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

Good to read your post, Rick.  I’m glad I’m not the only one who has gone way too long without using a meter.  And yes, some particulars about when to do checks and what the target marks are at those stages would be helpful tagged to specific recipes.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 17 March 2010 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-11-16

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply…...
First of all, I’m thrilled to hear that you are finally picking up a meter, Rich. From what I’ve seen you make really good cheese now and I’m confident that a meter will only make things better for you.
As for how long it takes to do a check, it’s really only a matter of seconds.
My procedure is as follows:
I take a sample of the whey, (I use a small shot glass which works really well).
I quickly rinse the meter in distilled water and then pat dry with a paper towel.
I then take my reading and rinse the meter probe and shot glass under tap water.
I then place the probe back into a small container of the distilled water and I’m ready for the next test.
I really feel that Peter Dixon’s site is a fantastic source for Ph readings during a make.
The thing to keep in mind is that the Ph at drain is the most important measurement and the Ph at salting is important, although to a lesser degree.
The real trick comes in using the right amount of starter culture and the right kind of starter culture.
If you use too much or the wrong type and miss your Ph at drain then it will be almost impossible to hit the Ph at brining.
The amount will only come by trial and error while the type is usually given in most recipes (all on the Dixon website).
Honestly, it’s not as difficult as it might sound.
When I first started using a meter I felt fairly overwhelmed, trying to hit all of the markers perfectly. After a few batches the checks become pretty much second nature and by using past notes you will know if things are going well and what adjustments might be needed.
Rick….
I did post a Gouda recipe in the recipe section of this forum with my Ph markers. I’ve been working on this recipe for awhile and it does always seem to turn out a really nice cheese.
The results are not yet what I want, (since every cheese is not exactly the same as the previous one), but I’m sure that is more due to not yet refining every move I make, during the process.
I do agree that it would be fantastic for all members to post their own readings when posting a certain recipe. That way we could all learn from each others experiences.
My goal is to make consistently good cheese which I’m sure is the same as everyone else on this board. I’ve honestly decided that this goal is impossible to reach without using this valuable tool.
Hope everyone is having a great week..

Dave

Signature 

Posted: 14 July 2010 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2008-03-21

I am a bit confused about the ph testing after draining.  When testing for salting are you sticking the probe into the curd to test the acidity of the curd, or testing the whey that is draining off of the drain board?

Signature 

Kim   cool smile

Posted: 14 July 2010 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

You would take a sample of the whey and test it separately, as it would not be feasible to sanitize the probe.  Then, of course, the sample would be discarded following the test.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 16 July 2010 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2008-03-21

Another question if I may, is there a table of PH values for the various cheese’s that is available for reference.  I have Rikki’s book and there are no values in it, only times.  Oops, forgot to mention that I ordered my ph meter and buffer solutions.  Should be here in a week.  Anxious to get going again.  I may do a batch this weekend without it as I am chomping at the bit.  smile

Signature 

Kim   cool smile

Posted: 16 July 2010 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

I just collect them as I search the net (or this site) for measurements.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

1 2 > 
1 of 2

‹‹ hey all      pH Marks ››