90% RH Equals a Rainstorm
Posted: 29 January 2008 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-12-07

I have a dedicated fridge in the basement that I intend on using for my cheese. At the moment it stands empty which gives me time to experiment with the temperature and humidity controllers. The temperature controller I have does a good job at maintaining the temp at around 53 degrees.
Last night I hooked my desktop humidifier up to the humidity controller and set it at 90%. It did hit the 90%, but unfortunately the inside of the fridge looks as though someone splashed a bucket of water inside! There was water running down the walls and the glass shelves had large puddles of water standing on them. I shut the humidifier off and this morning opened up the door to this mess and the humidity gauge said 64%. I did at one point have a small 3 inch desk top fan blowing inside to move the mist around, but the fan was very wet and I didn’t like that, as electric and water are a bad combination! The fan and humidifier were hooked to the controller to go on and off together. I had the humidifier set on the highest setting and I’m thinking that it put out too much too fast. I’ll try the lower setting tonight. But still, 90% humidity is the same no matter how fast it takes to get it there I guess.
I’m open to some ideas here, but I have to say that 85% - 90% humidity really looks like a rainstorm just passed through. I can’t help but wonder how a wheel of cheese with a puddle of water sitting on top of it does it any good!
Pehaps clean towels on the floor and shelves to catch the water and hold the dampness would help in maintaining a uniform humidity, I don’t know. At the moment it’s all plastic and glass, so puddling is the result.

Posted: 29 January 2008 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

use big plastic shoe box to store ur cheese inside ur fridge… i think it is impossible to make a fridge has 90% RH inside, it will sweat and drop water like river

Posted: 29 January 2008 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-07

Nabil, that’s an idea. I can pick-up some plastic totes and drill holes in the sides and bottom. That way should any water rain down, it’ll be trapped on the lid and spare the cheese. My thinking is also that once I bleach the towels and then rinse them with boiling water, I can wringe them out and lay them flat on the shelves. This way they’ll catch any dripping water and also be moist to provide even humidity. I’m going to have to experiment with the location of the humidity sensor in relation to the humidifier also within the fridge. I’m also wondering about the two glass shelves limiting the even flow of moisture. Perhaps I’d be better off removing the top one and just stacking the totes on top of one another. I’ll see how it goes as I try different arrangements.

Posted: 29 January 2008 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

The point of the humidity is so the cheese does not dry out. I would experiment as to how your cheeses are best ripened. Bloomed cheese are most suseptable for drying out. I use a plastic container with breathing holes to help maintain the moisture. Trying to get what the industry has will probably be a pain in the ass. ideally if u have a basement u can make a “polly Tunnel/cube” and stick a humidifier in their.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 31 January 2008 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-07

I have reduced the humidifier to the slowest setting, I bleached and boiled two bar towels which I then placed damp on the bottom shelf, and I have been able to maintain a 53F temp and 89% RH for the last 48 hours in the fridge.

Posted: 31 January 2008 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Might help to put the towels in salt water since salt will inhibit mold, other wise it might be a breading ground eventually.My guess smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 31 January 2008 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-07

Good point…I do plan on changing them every couple of days too.