When waxing chesse…
Posted: 24 May 2008 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-01-24

Hi Folks,

I’ll be making my first cheddar soon, and I have a question when it comes to waxing.

OK, so you’re holding your cheese and you brush wax on half of it, and that’s fine, but who do you do the other half? I imagine that the wwax is not dry enough to hold on the waxed half so you can do the other half.

I thought about driving a few big nails through a board so that I could sort of impale the cheese and wax around the nails.

Any other (better) techniques out there?

Thanks,

Slim

PS - I know that some people dip it, but I don’t have enough wax, but still you have the same problem in getting the dipped cheese out of the wax.

Posted: 24 May 2008 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

I’m not much more experienced than you are, but waxing is less difficult than you imagine it to be.  I brush the wax on, usually 2 or 3 coats.  It only takes a minute for it to set enough to handle.  By the time you get one side done and then work around the edge, you can turn it over without damaging the first wax.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 24 May 2008 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-01-24

Thanks, Rich. That’s good news.

Slim

Posted: 25 May 2008 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

make sure u dont over cook it, it does not take much heat to melt it so dont let it smoke, low heat is enough for it to be a thick liquid thats easy to apply with a brush and solidifies quickly, higher heat will make it very liquidy and will take several more coats and longer to solidify and is very runny.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole