Cheesecloth
Posted: 11 July 2009 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2009-02-10

After final pressing (50 kg=110 lb) the 10 liters (6”) Edam, when unmoulding, the cheese cloth stuck to the wheel in some spots. Reasons please?

Signature 

Alex-The Cheesepenter

Posted: 12 July 2009 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

. . .

Posted: 12 July 2009 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

Gouda and Edams and swiss style cheese does not require such huge weight, i know that it written in books that for 4” final is 40-50 LB

i always had the same problem until i stopped using so much pressure, (i use final 25 kg for 7” mold) and the results are super

noting that these type of cheeses does not require so much pressure because it’s already been pressed under whey.

what u faced is normal, and follow above and u will be fine

Posted: 12 July 2009 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-10

I pressed the curds under the whey per your instruction some posts earlier. According to one of my books, I calculated the recommended pressure (kg/sq-cm) and I should press with 60-65 kg.
I’ll take your advice for the next time.
I am still curious about your Camemberts.

Signature 

Alex-The Cheesepenter

Posted: 12 July 2009 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

I have had the sticking cloth problem on a few types of cheese; and it doesn’t seem to be related to pressure.  The ones that stick the worst seem to be lighter pressure cheeses.I still haven’t figured out exactly what causes it.  It seems that the curd actually gets into the fiber of the cloth and won’t let go.  Even washing the cloth is a major problem.  In any case, I’ve taken to using no cloth at all on the final press; and have had very good results over the past several months.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 12 July 2009 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-10

I think it is a matter of curds quality/consistence/acidity? Anyway, the problem is not so critical.
I am a bit afraid of pressing without cloth, you REMEMBER what happened shock . I remember your suggestion how to prevent thus issue.

Signature 

Alex-The Cheesepenter

Posted: 13 July 2009 04:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05
Alex - 12 July 2009 07:39 AM

I pressed the curds under the whey per your instruction some posts earlier. According to one of my books, I calculated the recommended pressure (kg/sq-cm) and I should press with 60-65 kg.
I’ll take your advice for the next time.
I am still curious about your Camemberts.

i totally agree about ur accurate calculations, but follow what i advise u and u will see very good result, as it is out of my personal experince.

i had this issue with many cheeses (Gouda and Swiss) and found out why by applying less pressure and that because the curds of those cheeses are so soft to handle it, so it start to penetrate throwout the cheese cloth, which tears ur cheese when pulling out..

one other solution (before i discover the above final solution) i sink the wheel with the sticked cloth in cold brine in fridge, then the cheese will harden and will stand the peeling process.

My Camemberts are doing very very well, very smooth , no slip skin, very tasty and the way u teach me gives perfect results (salting in whey).

i think i need few more batches and i will master it

Posted: 13 July 2009 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-10

I am happy to hear finally you are satisfied (succeeded) with the Camemberts, it’s about time smile .

Signature 

Alex-The Cheesepenter

‹‹ Mozzarella      Stilton problem ››