Cloth Banded Just jack
Posted: 25 December 2012 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  360
Joined  2011-02-16

Yesterday I unwrapped my cloth banded Just Jack cheese. When I made it, I made one Jack and one Pepper Jack out of the recipe. I was trying to find a moister Jack recipe than the one I had been using. I cloth banded the Jack like the recipe said and I waxed the Pepper Jack like I usually do.

The first picture is the cloth banded one right out of the cave, the second one is the cloth after I removed it, the third is the cheese without the banding, and the fourth is a picture of a plug of cheese that I removed to taste.

It is moist and creamy and has a good flavor to it. However it is not old enough yet. It needs a few more weeks.

Image Attachments
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
 Signature 

Herbs, Sausage, Beer and Cheese
Tammy

Posted: 25 December 2012 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-16

Another note is that the pepper jack that I waxed is a lot moister than the cloth banded one. In this type of cheese, I like the moister version better. I don’t think that I will be cloth banding the Jack cheese anymore.

Signature 

Tammy

Posted: 25 December 2012 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

The bandaging does not look that good LOL, otherwise nice cheese smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 26 December 2012 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-16

I took the first bandage off after about 4 weeks because it was really bad covered with mold. I removed it, cleaned the cheese and rebandaged it. This one was also on for 4 weeks.

Maybe my old cheese cave was just too small and crowded to get enough air circulation.

Signature 

Tammy

Posted: 29 December 2012 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

I think cloth is a great way to cultivate mold, problem is its not the nice one LOL.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole