Thank you and beginner question!
Posted: 13 July 2012 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-07-13

First, a big thank you to Rick for letting me into the forum!  I just started making cheese about a week ago.  I’ve gone through about 3 half gallons of milk in my experimenting.  I first saw a method to make mozzarella on youtube, and have since watched dozens of videos on that cheese as well as read many websites. The recipe I’m using uses citric acid and rennet recipe, and it is known as a “quick” recipe.  My first attempt with whole milk was a very soft cheese, that eventually fell apart because I was trying to stretch the cheese in water, and got the water a bit too hot.  My second attempt I used 1% milk and this was much more firm with a rubbery texture and a squeak to it when you bit into it.  I preferred this much more than the soft.

My question is that there still is a “milk fat” flavor to the cheese that I’m not crazy about.  I know I might be blaspheming here on this forum, as that taste is probably what people look for in making their own cheese, but it’s not a favorite of mine.  I understand that the citric acid method is a “quick” way of making mozzarella and I figure that’s why I’m getting the particular flavor I have been getting.  Does anyone feel that I would be able to change the taste significantly by using a starter culture to make lactic acid rather than just adding an acid to jump start the process? 

Why I ask is that I worked in an Italian restaurant for about a year and got hooked on their mozzarella.  It was very flavorful and a bit salty.  It did not, however, have a milky taste to it.  They ordered this cheese in bulk by the wheel from a distributer and my goal is to replicate that cheese in my kitchen at home.  I understand this might be a lofty goal, but hey, the fun is in trying right!

Posted: 13 July 2012 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

with the lack of “Fermentation” from the cultures the flavour would not really change (trying to remember when I first tried Citric Acid). Their is a proper Mozzarella culture that one can use that does taste real good.

Welcome Aboard!!
smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 14 July 2012 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2011-05-31

Welcome to the board. I don’t have any experience in mozzarella nor other stretched cheeses, but whenever you start with e.g. Gouda’s and have any questions, just ask!

Signature 

- Herman -

Posted: 14 July 2012 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-07-03

All my mozza has been a flop so far,  so I put in my two cents worth hesitantly,  however,  maybe the other members can comment on what I’m saying.  I ‘ve done a lot of reading about cheese making and have read people struggling with the same thing.  Mozza tasting like milk.  Would lipase make a difference to taste?  A mild one?

Posted: 16 July 2012 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-07-13

I do have to add one thing.  I made 1% mozz last Friday, and took it to work with me for friends to try.  I tried a piece this morning (Monday) that was left over, and it didn’t have the milk flavor.  Perhaps because it was cooled down to a refrigerator temp is why I didn’t notice it.  What I wonder though… is if the flavor of the cheese will continue to change after making it.  Enzymes and all that…?...?  It seems like a different cheese today than what it was when freshly made.  What are everyone’s thoughts on this new development?

Posted: 17 July 2012 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

ageing always helps, it settles down and integrates and the flavours change. Thingk of it like wine lol.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 25 July 2012 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-07-25

I’ve been making mozzarella using the citric acid method from Mary Jane Toth’s book, A Cheesemaker’s Journey. You can find the recipe and video at http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/make-mozzarella/. I highly recommend this for anyone struggling with mozzarella.

I have not had an issue with it tasting too milky but one of the things she recommends is to put the hot mozzarella into a container of ice water after it has been stretched and molded. This may have the same effect for you as waiting until the next morning. Also, you can add lipase to the recipe (probably about 1/8 teaspoon per gallon) but that would add more of a tangy or sharp taste. Lipase is more traditionally used with feta or provolone.