Tasty tasty disaster
Posted: 16 May 2013 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2013-05-03

I pulled three Brie out of the cheese fridge the other day. They had a perfect white bloom all over but when I touched them I realised I had forgotten to put them into a sealed container (for a higher humidity) and they had gone quite hard. Bummer. Nevertheless I decided to open one up to see what had happened inside. I was delighted to find the texture to be firm with an excellent colour throughout. The taste was superb! It initially has the Brie white-mould strong flavour but then fades to a more cheddary taste with somewhat sweet overtones. It is fantastic with a good shiraz and also melts really well. I had it grilled over ham and herbed mushrooms for brekky this morning.
Doing a bit of research I was pleased to discover that there are some rare French varieties of cheese which conform to the cheese I made by accident. A sort of hard cheese with a brie bloom. Does anyone know the name for this variety? Failing that where I could go to find out more (and don’t you dare say France…)

Image Attachments
hard_brie_640.jpg
 Signature 

“There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more.  The other is to desire less.”
— G. K. Chesterton

http://thecloudfarm.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 16 May 2013 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Awesome! glad to hear it worked out, looks real nice ! . “Mistakes” often turn out great tastes. Sealed containers are not wise, the cheese needs to breath or will melt away (Got some pics on my site on that)

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 16 May 2013 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2013-05-03

Oh yes, I found this out the hard way too… Now I open the container each day to see how things are going and I haven’t had any problems. Any excess condensation is emptied out.

Signature 

“There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more.  The other is to desire less.”
— G. K. Chesterton

http://thecloudfarm.blogspot.com.au/