What kinds of cheese clothes does everyone prefer?
Posted: 19 May 2013 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-05-19

Aloha cheese people.

I have 30 head (milking 10) of mixed variety dairy goats that put out an average of 3 quarts a day. I enjoy making flavored chevres( the average temperature here is about 76f) Feta, paneer and what I just affectionatly refer to as my hard cheeses. I don’t have a cave yet to explore the fuzzy penicillin bundles of joy that call to me with their siren song.  Anyone should feel free to inquire about my cheese recipes, all though I can assure they’re quite basic.

My question today is about the material for draining and wraps that you folks use. Regular cotton clothe doesn’t really stand up too my level of use, and they doesn’t take to bleach very well. I found some bags from get culture.com that are made out to some poly or nylon blend(they are looking into it for me, but I won’t be surprised if they don’t have an answer). Without trying to sound like an add, these things are great, perfect thread count for chevre or feta to drain, and the cheese comes off the material likes it’s a Teflon.  I should also mention, they are expensive as hell. $20 for a 2.5 gallon bag.

So, what have you folks found to work?

Posted: 19 May 2013 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

I have been using the standard cotton cheese cloth for about 5 years.  The cloth I’m currently using has been in service for over 3 years, with no damage.  And I sanitize with bleach.  My cheeses are hard cheese, so some of them require a lot of pressure to come out right - up to 125 lbs.  There is no problem with the cloth, although I usually do not use a cloth for the final press.

BTW, welcome to the forum.  I’ve not been to Hawaii for 18 years, but I fondly remember living there for a short while.  What island are you on?

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 19 May 2013 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-05-19

On the wet side of the Big Island. All the islands have so much to offer, but this one allowed me to purchase enough acreage to run livestock.  I do tropical fruits for the most part, but these goats are starting to take most of my time. I’m hoping to find a mail outlet this year and start shipping all this excess gourmet cheese to the mainland. I spent a few years shipping our grass fed beef to gourmet venues like the MGM Las Vegas, so shipping cheese should be easier than raw beef. This is my first season with 10 head milking, so I plan on refining my cheese skills a bit this year with the help of you fine folks.