noobie needs help, bad cheese
Posted: 26 May 2013 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-05-26

I have tried to make a soft goats milk cheese (first time) from dried goats milk.  Using buttermilk as a culture and rennet I created a very bland soft cheese.  As it aged during the first month the taste started to sharpen nicely.  Now in the third month the taste has changed from a cheese flavor to a chemically bitter flavor (quite unpleasant)  and actually burns my mouth (like an alcohol burn).  Is this cheese still progressing correctly or has it gone bad some how.  Can it be rescued or should I throw it away.  Thank you for you consideration.

Posted: 26 May 2013 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Welcome aboard; hope we can help with your problem.  I have not personally made any soft goat’s milk cheese; but in my experience a bitter taste is usually due to poor sanitation during the make.  Go back over your procedure and analyze everything - and I mean everything - that has any possibility of coming into contact with your milk. I have even gone so far as to sanitize the outside of the milk containers prior to pouring into my cheese pot, just in case something might drop off it into the milk.  Being absolutely scrupulous in your make will likely take care of your bitterness problem.

As far as what to do with the cheese - if you don’t like the taste of it - get rid of it.

So, try again, and let us know how it comes out.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 27 May 2013 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Welcome !!

Sounds like it may of fermented and it was stored in a warmer then required area, maybe from bacteria as Rich said. Soft cheese usualy does not hang around that long and is consumed early smile
Try again and see if the same result happens. if your going to age a cheese for 3 months or more i would recommend doing a harder cheese or Bloomed cheese, you can still use Goats Milk.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole