1 2 3 > 
1 of 3
Cheese #26—Camembert
Posted: 02 January 2007 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  410
Joined  2004-07-16

Since my last Camembert melted, I decided to try again. So I made a new batch this weekend.

I followed the previous recipe except I did not add any cream and I cut back a bit on the Penicillium candidum.

I have three rounds in the fridge, molded and salted. Tonight I’ll spritz with Geotrichum candidum and continue as in the previous recipe.

Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 16 January 2007 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Can u post any pics so we can see how it goes?
New to this forum so trying to catch up. The cream your adding, assuming its raw cow milk? Any tips on using the store bought stuff? Ive mad about 10 batches so far in quick successtions so I get the feal of it and experiment with dif cultures. I always used Homo milk (3.5%) and then added whipping cream (35%). i notice that the whipping cream their are other addatives, dont know how the affect the process.
I have tried one batch allready and came out very nice however I thingk I will use regular 2% in the next few batches becasue for over a year now I noticed in my yogurt that I make theirs a growing bitter after taste. Tried the 2% and their was non, So see how it works for the cheese making. i do use CaCl and bio rennet.

Thanks!

Neil

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 16 January 2007 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-16

I’ll get some photos and upload them.

I use store-bought milk and cream. Some creams are “ultra-pasteurized”. I’ve had bad luck with ultra-pasteurized milks and creams. Store-bought goat’s milk, for example. However, I think if it is a small amount, it probably doesn’t matter.

Using 2% is a good idea. A little less butter-fat, gives the cheese a firmer and drier texture. I tend to use 2% when I am going for a “grating” cheese like montasio or parmesan. I don’t know what Camembert would be like with 2% milk and then adding a bit of heavy cream, but it would be worth a try.

Right now, this Camembert looks good. It is not ripening as fast as my last disaster!

I just did a blue cheese, too, and still need to write it up.

Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 16 January 2007 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Nice smile right now storage is a problem and I dont have cheese paper. My first blue (stilton) actualy looks like its turning into camembert, guess it has too much moisure and not being able to breath, have it full open in the fridge.
Will be interesting how the camemberts are with 2% milk. The one I tried was very tasty however it was very soft almost like thick mayonais, anyways its gobbled up now so on to the next taste test wink

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 16 January 2007 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-16

Thick mayonaise…getting close to the right consistency, if it just runs out into a thin stream when you cut into it, it is too thin. But, a ripe Camembert is not “hard” either, it should run some and be spreadable. For storage, I use a mini-fridge and put a container of water in it. I’m maintaining about 50 degrees and 75% humidity. I would like higher humidity, but that is hard to do in the winter.

You can order cheese paper from New England Cheesemaking. I’m not sure how to use it. There is a shiny side and a dull side. And, I need to ask them which side goes next to the cheese! I did not use cheese paper on my first batch and it turned out great, so don’t sweat it. Just have fun!

Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 17 January 2007 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Updated my website (cheeses) check it out. I realized I did not check some of them enough LOL, lids closed and the cheese ran away. other then that, some great success, My “Brie” is very tasty and creamy.

Image Attachments
30_Brie_011707_600.jpg
 Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 17 January 2007 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-16

Yum! That looks great. If it tastes as good as it looks, then you did good!

What is the URL to your website?

Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 17 January 2007 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

http://telusplanet.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/

(I have it in the profile as well)

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 20 January 2007 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-16

Here is a photo of the camembert at about 3 weeks. It is nicely molded, but still firm.

Image Attachments
camembert070119.JPG
 Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 20 January 2007 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Looks greate smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 27 January 2007 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-16

Still struggling with my Camembert. It is ripening much too early and turning liquid. The rind is very thick. Next time I’ll make a full recipe (4 rounds), which means I need to buy another mold. Maybe adjusting the ingredients is my problem. The first round from this batch was very runny, we ate some of it on crackers, and the flavor was good but mild. About a week later we ate the second round, it was not quite as runny and had more developed flavor (see the photos for it looked like).

Image Attachments
cam1070127.JPGcam2070127.JPG
 Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 27 January 2007 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15
Rick Robinson - 27 January 2007 03:26 PM

Maybe adjusting the ingredients is my problem. .

Whats to adjust ? Sounds like what i did with my first batches, left them out too long before butting them in the fridge.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 27 January 2007 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-16

I was using a recipe that called for a full 2-gallons of milk, but I was only using 1-1/2 gallons and trying to eye-ball the amount of starter and bacteria I used in proportion…

Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 27 January 2007 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Hmmm.. All the batches i have done I have had the same size, about 4.5 liters this time (doing right now) is 6.5 L. The thing is, I always do a starter, not like they say, add directly to the milk. I do a 1L starter bottle the night before and its almost solid, then I use 250mls in the batch, so its realy packed with enzymes. I just see that as being a realy healthy process so other things cant compeat. As all my batches, I use the skins or whole of the cheese that I want to have. The only time I have come across liquifing is, when I left them at room temperature for a week (like my first batch hens the amonia later) and when the lid of the container shut and I hadnt checket it for over a week and it basicaly suffocated and liquified. All my other ones are solid, well real creamy filling wink

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 14 July 2007 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

what is exactly the kind of the paper which you are using to wrap the brie?

Posted: 14 July 2007 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Cheese paper for bloomed cheese are 2 layer paper, the inner paper is like a wick and lets the moisture pass, the outer is shiny and protects the cheese from contamination etc..

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

1 2 3 > 
1 of 3