1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 4
Cheese #27—Blue Cheese
Posted: 20 January 2007 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  410
Joined  2004-07-16

I made a blue cheese two weekends ago and just didn’t take the time or effort to document it. I followed the recipe in Ricki Carroll’s book with one exception. I had powdered blue mold, and instead of dissolving it in water the day prior to making the cheese, I just sprinkled some of the powder into the milk along with the starter. It floated on the top during the ripening, and even during the curdling, but got stirred around pretty good during the subsequent stirring, draining, and salting of the curds.

Here are a couple of photos at about 10-days.

Image Attachments
blue070119_1.JPGblue070119_2.JPG
 Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 20 January 2007 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Do u ever use store “sample” cheese, instead of bought culture? Looks nice, when did u poke the cheese?

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 20 January 2007 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-16

I’ve never used a sample of cheese to provide the cultures for a new batch. I’ve heard of it being done, but sometimes without great results. So, I save those kinds of starters for bread wink Instead, I use purchased cultures.

I poked the holes with a metal skewer after about a week. This allows air to get into the cheese and promotes growth of the blue mold. I rotate the cheese daily, on its side, to make sure the internal moisture is evenly distributed.

Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 20 January 2007 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

All mine have been from the store, I find the variety would make some interesting results, well Im experimenting realy so I know what happens. What does occure is that I have had very good results, I get blooming from Camembert/Brie in about 3 days, the Blues about a week, so far been real happy with the results. Will try the culture strands when I do my next order.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 22 January 2007 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Hi! I just blitzed them in the blender, works real well, cheese taste great and off the origonal (the blues that is), Just make sure u have a healthy sample.
Yup I jumped right in and made a bunch so I would learn fast, takes 2 months to find out how the product is so just saved time by doing as many varieties I could.
The Bloomed cheeses i find are the easiest to do, just u need to get proper cheese paper to wrap them in to age them, unless u have a dedicated cave for them wink
I add the general starter first then add the culture to the milk as I pour it in.

smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 27 January 2007 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-16

The blue continues to come along nicely. Another couple of weeks in the cool fridge and I’ll scrape it, wrap it up tightly in foil, then put it in a cold fridge for a few months.

Image Attachments
blue070127.JPG
 Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 27 January 2007 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Scrape it? Foil? why, and does it not still need to breath?

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 27 January 2007 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-16

All the blue cheese & stilton recipes I have call for the cheese to be tightly wrapped in foil, once the blue mold has fully developed, for aging. Even good store-bought blue cheeses are tightly wrapped. So, I think they need to stop breathing and developing new mold at some point and simply age and develop flavor and texture. The scraping is just to get the mold off the outside before wrapping it up.

Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 27 January 2007 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Interesting, the ones I have just have them in the “cave” unwraped and unchanged. 3 months and they crack it and looks great.
Just checked out 3 sites of recipes, just one (that deals with commercial use) dont seal them, and the sealed on has a limit.

—Guelph university—-

11. Store the cheese at 95% RH and 12 - 14C for 6 - 8 weeks. Alternatively, the cheese can be placed on plastic mats in large plastic tubs with the lids slightly open to allow some oxygen entry for mould growth, and ripened at 12 - 14C. Turn every day for several days and then turn once a week. The pH should increase to 6.0 - 6.25 after 8 weeks.

12. Vacuum pack and store at 7C until consumed (up to 3 months).

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 29 January 2007 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2007-01-21

hi Rick, great site! Here is a pic of my Blue using a Roqueforte(sp) culture and matured as Neil has described above.

These are about 3 weeks old and the rind is starting to form nicely, they are a little wrinkly but I think that’s because I didn’t press them.

Cheers
Andrew

Posted: 30 January 2007 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Looks great! dont be afraid to post bigger pics wink details wont scare people.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 02 February 2007 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-21

I cut one open today, couldn’t resist. tastes great, nice and creamy and easy to spread and the veining is coming along nicely.

Yummo.

Cheers
Andrew

Posted: 02 February 2007 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-21

Rick, it has just occured to me that I might have hijacked your thread, please feel free to move my last couple of posts if you want.

Cheers
Andrew

Posted: 03 February 2007 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

That looks real nice :D

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 04 February 2007 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-16

Hi everyone. I’ve been in New Orleans for a week, so did not keep up with the posts. The blue cheeses look great! I need to scrape mine, it is completely covered with mold. I’ll let you know how it goes. Meantime, keep the great posts and pictures coming.

Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 07 February 2007 07:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2007-01-21
Rick Robinson - 27 January 2007 05:09 PM

All the blue cheese & stilton recipes I have call for the cheese to be tightly wrapped in foil, once the blue mold has fully developed, for aging. Even good store-bought blue cheeses are tightly wrapped. So, I think they need to stop breathing and developing new mold at some point and simply age and develop flavor and texture. The scraping is just to get the mold off the outside before wrapping it up.

Rick do you use normal foil you get from the supermarket? I have two rounds I would like to try this on but wasn’t sure if it should be a special “cheese foil”. After you wrap them in foil what temp do you store them at, 50f?

Cheers
Andrew

1 2 3 >  Last ›
1 of 4

‹‹ Cheese #26 -- Camembert      Cambozola #1 ››