Many cheeses, one cave
Posted: 11 February 2008 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2008-01-22

Here is my burning question of the week:

With every cheese requiring a different aging temperature, how does one go about aging them in a single cave? Is there an optimum temp to use in general? Is there a difference in temp on top versus the bottom of the cave?

Heathers

Posted: 11 February 2008 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

dif groups have a dif temp generally however its the first couple weeks that can make the difference since its a dif temp to the final resting temp. Since us homemakers dont have the “cave” luxury the crisper in the fridge will do. The commercial cheese makers have to be anal with the process because they require consistency for production.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 11 February 2008 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-22

So does the crisper have a cooler temp than the rest of the fridge generally? What temp does your crisper stay on an ongoing basis?

My cave is tiny so there will be little difference anywhere in it. I suppose I’ll have to try my basement afterall.

Posted: 11 February 2008 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

crisper is the warmer area being furthest away from the cooling system pending type of fridge. Mine is around 4c, its also a crapy fridge so it can fluctuate from 2-5c. I have digi thermometer to check temp so I try and diel it to about 4c but being a crapy fridge when the room warms up it easily changes the internal temp of the fridge as much as 5deg.
So depend on the type of cheese your doing u try and place it in the fridge that gets the closest temp to what the ripening cheese will like.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 11 February 2008 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-12-07

Heathers, my feeling is you’d be better off using the small fridge with the variation in temp. rather than letting your cheese sit in an open basement. After all, a damp basement can harbor many unwanted mold spores which might contaminate your cheese. That is unless you confine your cheese to something like a plastic box with lid. Then again, the question about air circulation comes up.

Posted: 11 February 2008 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

I agree, if u can afford it, get a mini fridge ( or full one if your going to make a lot of cheese wink ) Air circulation is important or the cheese can run (if its a bloomed cheese)

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 11 February 2008 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-22

Yep, my cave is a mini fridge and it stays 48-50F. I did pose the question at one point about using the basement for initial aging of some cheese but would have to use a box—it’s a musty place for sure and who knows what my cheese would contract!

Posted: 11 February 2008 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Musty places are great for breading rogue bacteria LOL U have to remember, cheese depend on bacteria and they are very good breeding ground so u have to be vigalent in keeping the cheese clean.
Making cheese at home it becomes difficult to maintain a sterile condition. Thats why, at least in Canada, your not allowed to use your home for making food for the public. So bleaching is important to clean your work/cave area.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 12 February 2008 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

i think 4C is too cold, this temp or less a bit is for ripened cheese (at final pre consuming stage).

try to cover your waxed wheels with two layers of small wool blanket, so you get a bit higher temp

Posted: 12 February 2008 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

yes, im talking about final resting temp, ripening temp pends on the cheese type so theirs no general temp.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole