Soft Cheese and Moisture
Posted: 12 February 2008 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2008-01-22

Hi everyone- Any help for this new cheesemaker would be appreciated.

I just finished draining some French Coullommier from Ricki’s book for a couple days but now it tastes sour. Some pieces under the rim of the ring mold broke off so naturally I ate it. Is the sour taste due to excess acidity? Is this a very bad sign? I sprayed them with both P. Candidum and G Candidum and moved them into the cave. I don’t have an acid testing gadget yet…

The cheese also shows visible moisture and still feels a bit soggy. It didn’t shrink down as much as I thought it would after two days of draining. Instead of cutting into cubes I ladled the curd into the molds (not without disaster moments when I bumped the mold and the curd rushed out underneath). How do I know if the cheese is too moist and is there anything else I should do?

As always, thanks for your insights-
Heathers

Posted: 12 February 2008 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Sounds like u did more of a Camembert ladling, aging will tell how it will turn out…...
Just reading the pages (162-3) sour probably because it has been left several days and has built up the acidity ( reminds me of when I used to make cream cheese from yogurt). So I suggest waiting the 2 weeks to try again and hoping the flora grows in nicely.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 12 February 2008 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-22

Hi Neil and thanks-

The recipe does say drain for 2 days so maybe the flora will tame it. I just don’t remember that sour smell when I made the Camembert.

How do you test your cheeses for acidity? I’ve heard of PH strips but not sure if they are good to use.

Heathers

Posted: 12 February 2008 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

I dont and I have tried and do have PH strips but their way to general. I just try and get a consistence as I mention in another post. try mozzarella again and this time I used the citric acid (used lemons in the past) and it didnt get solid in 15 min so went for a walk for an hour and cut it when I got back. the curds were just loosening from the sides. If u dont have the testing equipment then its triel and error till u get the feel of it.
Been thigking of borrowing a PH tester used for fish tanks so see what happens. Their more accurate then PH paper and cost 10$.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 13 February 2008 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05
Heathers - 12 February 2008 05:08 PM

Hi everyone- Any help for this new cheesemaker would be appreciated.

I just finished draining some French Coullommier from Ricki’s book for a couple days but now it tastes sour. Some pieces under the rim of the ring mold broke off so naturally I ate it. Is the sour taste due to excess acidity? Is this a very bad sign? I sprayed them with both P. Candidum and G Candidum and moved them into the cave. I don’t have an acid testing gadget yet…

The cheese also shows visible moisture and still feels a bit soggy. It didn’t shrink down as much as I thought it would after two days of draining. Instead of cutting into cubes I ladled the curd into the molds (not without disaster moments when I bumped the mold and the curd rushed out underneath). How do I know if the cheese is too moist and is there anything else I should do?

As always, thanks for your insights-
Heathers

Camembert or/and Coullommier (white bloomed) must have very acidic (pH 4.6) , why ? because the P/G.Candidum and also blue, needs acid to live, your cheese is 100% healthy for such cheeses, now, when the mold start to grow, it will use the acid, and turn it to non-acid cheese , the pH will became arround 7.0 (as water).

you need excess acid, and more u have lactic acid more the mold will work better…
Now you need to control the humidity and temp, and u will end with good white mold cheese smile

Posted: 13 February 2008 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-22

Phew! I thought I was doomed. I think I may have to delve into acid measurements now. Thanks for setting my mind at ease.

Speaking of white molded, the Camembert I started Jan 6 is still not getting creamy on the inside. It doesn’t taste bad, it’s just a bit chalky. I thought it would begin happening by now. Humidity in the cave is high (drops of water hanging on ceiling is my measurement).

Thanks!

Posted: 13 February 2008 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

- As homemaker no need to bother urself alot of acid value., but it is good to know how things work.
- Regarding ur 6Jan cheese, does it have a good think white coat? what is the temp ?

Posted: 13 February 2008 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-22

My fridge stays at about 7.4 - 7.7C.

The Jan 6 Camembert was my first soft cheese so I had absolutely no idea what I was doing.

I added the P. Candidum to the milk during ripening, and assumed there would be no need to spray it on later. After draining, the cheese seemed very wet. The mats underneath were pretty wet when I turned the cheeses in the cave…this went on for 6 days, and in my lack of experience I thought the surface should have been drier before I could spray with P. Candidum. The mold did not grow so I sprayed after about 6 days then boosted the humidity. It grew then but then the sides never did fill in like the top and bottom (see pic).

After about 10 days instead the sides took on a dry, tiny brain texture with white mold growing in small spots. I scraped most of the brainy stuff off and re-sprayed. Then white mold grew on the sides but not very thick. I wrapped them last week in paper.

Would love to know any thoughts you may have.
Heather

Image Attachments
cam sides.JPG

Posted: 13 February 2008 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Something u might want to experiment with, if u like bloomed cheese, try adding the PC at the same time as the culture. I have never sprayed, The PC is throughout the cheese and it blooms quickly with uniform cover. Careful theirs no accumulated water around the cheese or it might invite black mold (experience).

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 13 February 2008 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-22

Neil-

I actually did add it at the same time as the culture but no trace of mold was not growing after I think about 5 days. I thought the cheeses were too wet. I did try to dry the cheese a few mintutes each day before I sprayed. Maybe I’ll leave the moisture alone and see if that’s where I went wrong.

Always a fun experiment!
Heather

Posted: 13 February 2008 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

yup, try less moisture and see if u can get a consistency..

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 14 February 2008 03:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

“tiny brain texture with white mold growing in small spots. I scraped most of the brainy stuff off”  why ? those where the beginning of full molds
when u cut the 6jan cheese, did u see that there is soft then chalky texture (from out to in?)
anyway i think u need to give it more time, because the temp is fine