Cottage Cheese
Posted: 28 March 2008 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2008-03-21

I have inoculated my first attempt at cottage cheese last evening, so tonight I will be processing it.  The recipe does not seem to be too complex so I am hoping that it turns out.  I live and work in an Amish community and those that I have spoken with have indicated that they never buy cottage cheese but always make their own.  They said that once you have tried home made that you will never buy it again.

I hope that they are right.  I bought some heavy cream to sweeten it up with.  Do any of you make your own?

My wife and I eat about a pound of it a week.

Signature 

Kim   cool smile

Posted: 28 March 2008 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

They are right in saying the home made tastes much better, I was so surprised when I made my first mozzarella how much better it tasted, no comparison at all. Dont do Cottage cheese myself though I used to eat it with ginger jam smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 28 March 2008 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-21

We mix it with strawberries, or peaches, pears, or pineapple.  Very good.  Hope that this is better.

Signature 

Kim   cool smile

Posted: 28 March 2008 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-21

Another Failure, don’t know what is going on.  Used Ricki’s recipe, and followed it to the letter for small curd cottage cheese.  24 hours setting, did not curd up, all I got was tiny curds, more like pinheads.  It’s draining now, but I guess I will have to use it like ricotta.  Pretty Frustrating.

Maybe I should have let it set longer, and curd harder.  Don’t know.  Maybe should have added some rennet to it.

Gonna have to try again.  Any suggestions or recipes that you guys use?

Signature 

Kim   cool smile

Posted: 29 March 2008 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2008-01-22

I’m sorry to hear that…

Are you using pasteurized milk? If so, did you add the calcium chloride?

Posted: 29 March 2008 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-21

Yes, I added calcium chloride.  It is pasteurized, but not ultra.  I probably should have let it set longer.  The recipe did not call for rennet, and I probably should have used some.  Next time.  Working on a cheddar now.  We will see what happens.  I did end up will about a pound of ricotta though so not a total loss.

Thanks for your concern.  I will try again.

Cheers.

Signature 

Kim   cool smile

Posted: 31 March 2008 01:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

change ur milk type

Posted: 04 April 2008 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-21

Update:  4/4/08 Successful batch of cottage cheese finished tonight.  Excellent tasting.  I got a pound and a half from a gallon of milk.  My wife loved it.  I added a couple of teaspoons of heavy cream to it to make it a little sweeter and creamier. 

Being a newby, this is a great accomplishment for me.

I also started another neufchatel this evening.

Thanks for you patience.

Signature 

Kim   cool smile

Posted: 04 April 2008 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

What type of milk u using? try 2% and add cream (18% or higher) and see what happens.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 05 April 2008 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-21

I have been using whole milk, Country Fresh which is only pasteurized and adding 1/2 tsp of CaCl2 to it.  I was thinking about using 2% but all I can find in cream is “ultra pasteurized” so was not sure if that was the way to go.  Is the cream that you get UP?

Signature 

Kim   cool smile

Posted: 05 April 2008 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

no, What I find is that if one goes from one extream to the other 1-2% to full cream, then its les processed since the whole idea is for the cream not to separate.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

‹‹ Hi All      cheese trier ››