measuring pH
Posted: 24 July 2009 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2009-07-22

What do you use for measuring pH? Is it a probe? or a colour-change liquid thing? Are we measuring the pH of the whey or the curd?

Any help appreciated

Posted: 25 July 2009 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

probe, the paper does not give an curate reading . The only problem with a prob is that it has a shelf life (less then a year) before u have to replace it (the shaft part not the meter).

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 25 July 2009 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2009-07-22

OK- thanks for that. Seems lke the only way to be sure the chesse is made correctly.

Posted: 25 July 2009 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2009-02-10
Bezza - 26 July 2009 02:14 AM

OK- thanks for that. Seems lke the only way to be sure the chesse is made correctly.

I think your definition “the cheese is made correctly” is theoretical. Hundreds of years ago people who made cheeses didn’t have pH meters. The industry learned to make cheese from them and developed the pH meter too among other tools and processes, in order to be consistent with the manufacturing. Mistakes lead to different type of cheeses.
I do not use a pH meter because I still do not have one. I make cheese for two years, fortunately, I never failed, all cheeses have been eaten.

Signature 

Alex-The Cheesepenter

Posted: 26 July 2009 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2009-07-22

well that’s a good point of course. I guess the real test is whether the cheese was worth all the time that went into it. But if you’re after a cheese of a particular type the Ph meter would help wouldn’t it? But I have noticed that many recipes don’t give the required pH, so I can see its use would be limited by that.

Posted: 26 July 2009 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2009-02-10

There are books with recipes intended to use by cheese manufacturers, and books with recipes for the home cheesemaker.

Signature 

Alex-The Cheesepenter