Cheesecloth Sticking To Gouda
Posted: 25 July 2009 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2009-07-14

The cheesecloth is sticking every time I make Gouda. Sticks on the bottom (base) of the wheel during final pressing - 50 pounds overnight. It stick so bad I can’t reuse the cheesecloth and pulls some small chucks out of the wheel. I do a dozen different types of hard cheese but this only happens on the Gouda. I do Colby which is also a washed curd cheese with no problems. Any ideas?

Posted: 25 July 2009 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

There have been several opinions voiced on this issue, but I don’t think there has been a definitive answer given.  I’ve had the problem as well, and usually only with Muenster.  In any case, since its only on the final press that you are experiencing the problem; I’d suggest you do your final press with no cloth.  I have been using this technique for over 6 months and it works well.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 25 July 2009 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2009-07-14

I would one source on another site that suggested spraying the cheesecloth with a non-stick cooking spray like PAM. Anybody here doing that? I found another site where they use a plastic disposable cheesecloth, but I haven’t seen that available anywhere.

Posted: 25 July 2009 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2009-07-14

I am using a 2 pound Cheesy Press. The instructions that came with the press says to do the initial pressings WITHOUT cheesecloth. They say to dress with cheesecloth only for the final pressing. This seems backwards to me. I assumed that the purpose of the cheesecloth was to allow a space for the whey to drain. Otherwise, why use it at all???

Posted: 25 July 2009 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2009-07-14
Bala - 25 July 2009 11:54 AM

Cloth sticking to the cheese is caused by using a poor quality starter culture.  Change the starter and your problem will disappear.

Bala - I notice that you are in India and are doing organic farming. Are you using dried cultures or are you using natural starters like buttermilk and yoghurt?

You may be right about my starter. I am using a generic Thermophilic from New England Cheese Supply. However, I use that culture for several different cheeses. The sticking only happens with my Goudas - and it happens EVERY time.

Posted: 25 July 2009 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Dont spray anything chemical on the cheese making materials, defeats the purpose of making a healthy cheese. Ive had this problem as I mentioned the last little while, might be the temp of the cheese, haven’t figured it out.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 26 July 2009 01:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

read this

http://www.rickandlynne.com/rick/go/forums/viewreply/5830/

http://www.rickandlynne.com/rick/go/forums/viewreply/5821/

Posted: 26 July 2009 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

This discussion may have jinxed me.  I have never had sticking on a cheddar, but last night I did.  It was a stirred curd cheddar, and it was after the 2 hour press that the cloth stuck around the perimeter of the bottom surface - nowhere else.  The weight may be a factor, but this was not on the heaviest press.  One would think that if it were a factor of weight, it would be most noticeable on the first two presses when the curd is most open and most subject to being squeezed into the cloth fibers.  I hope we can get this problem solved once and for all.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 27 July 2009 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-05-25

My cotswold I made yesterday stuck to the cheese cloth as well.
It seemed that the cheese had driped thru and then solidified and started forming a crust.
I took a sharp perring knife and scraped the drip thru off of the cheese cloth until it turned loose.
Kinda like shaving in the morning.
Suffered very little damage.

Posted: 28 July 2009 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Just make sure u dont use hot water to wash the cloth. Hot water will bake the cheese to the cloth, hard to scrape off.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 28 July 2009 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

Actually the hot water semi-melts the curd, making it softer.  Then if you gently brush the cloth with an old toothbrush, you can work it clean again.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 28 July 2009 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2009-07-14

Here’s a very interesting comment from Ricki Carrol’s website. Makes sence.

This can be a problem with this type of cheese due to serious acid production in the mold causing the curd to shrink and thus incorporating the cloth .. Best solution is to wet the cloth in weak brine .. This added salt should slow acid production a bit near the rind and solve this problem.. also .. too much pressure to start with and not turning soon enough could cause this.

Posted: 29 July 2009 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

An interesting solution, and easy to try - wetting the cloth that is.  But since we are experiencing the sticking in the last pressing cycle, it seems unlikely that too much pressure at the start could be causing it.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 29 July 2009 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2009-02-10

I always wet the cloth, put it in the mould and then the curds. There are recipes calling for a light pressure for 15 minutes and then a much heavier one for 6-12 hours. I never do that. I start with about 15 lb for 15-20 minutes, re-wrap and flip, same pressure. From here on I increase the pressure gradually for 1-3 hours and so on as required. Every phase of pressing I apply equally on both sides. I experinced a very slight sticking lately, may be due to exeeded pressure.

P.S. Most of my semi and hard cheeses are made from 10 liters of milk.

Signature 

Alex-The Cheesepenter

Posted: 30 July 2009 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2009-02-10

According to Ricky’s book:

“The cheesecloth removes with great difficulty from the cheese after pressing. Pieces of the cheese may actually rip off when the cheesecloth is removed.”

Coliform bacterial and/or wild yeast contamination.

The cheese was not redressed in a fresh cheesecloth when needed. This is particularly true for cheeses made with a thermophilic culture.

Signature 

Alex-The Cheesepenter

Posted: 26 December 2009 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-12-24
Sailor Con Queso - 25 July 2009 01:08 PM

I would one source on another site that suggested spraying the cheesecloth with a non-stick cooking spray like PAM. Anybody here doing that? I found another site where they use a plastic disposable cheesecloth, but I haven’t seen that available anywhere.

Hi Sailor,
Don’t know whether you already have found a supplier of disposable cheese cloth, but if not then please check our web shop http://www.thecheesemouldshop.com.
Next to the plastic cloth that is listed in the shop we also have cotton cheese cloth (the very original!) that is not listed yet.
The cotton execution is more easy to form in the mould causing less wrinkles than the plastic one.
However the plastic one is more durable.

‹‹ measuring pH      Manchego ››