Saturday, June 10, 2006

Sailor the Chlorinator

This is getting a bit silly. Now Sailor has ended up in the pool. Of all dogs, this is the one that NEVER even gets his feet wet if he can help it. I got up this morning and let the dogs out, not quite fully awake myself. They hadn’t even been out for five minutes and I heard them barking, which in itself is nothing out of the ordinary, but it was different somehow. Usually they all end up back on the deck barking. This barking was coming from further away. I looked out and saw them clustered around the pool. OH NO, I thought. Now what? I peeked over the railing and the sea of dogs around the pool parted to reveal a dog in the pool at the shallow end. I could see a head and front paws clinging to the side. I yelled for Rick, who was still in bed, There’s a dog in the pool! At this point I didn’t know if I was going to need help or not.

I started down the steps very carefully since they were wet and a little slippery with last night’s rain, Who was it? I quickly did a name check of the dogs I could see and decided it was Sailor. He was looking pretty panicked and COLD, so unlike Bart’s situation, I felt he needed immediate rescuing rather than running for the camera. He HATES the water!! How did this happen? I ran over to the edge of the pool and pulled on his collar to lift him out. He was actually standing on the bottom with his front paws on the edge and he only needed a little boost from me to scramble on up and over. He came out with water running in streams off his body. A couple of rigorous shakes and he was looking a bit better. By this time Rick had joined me, but as it turned out we hadn’t needed any help. Back in the house Rick toweled the poor dog as dry as he could. He really smells chlorinated, hence the title. PHEW!

I don’t know how it happened. My guess is they were being their usual idiot morning selves and play fighting and got too close to the edge of the pool, and PLUNK!, Sailor landed in the drink. I hope they figure out this pool stuff pretty soon.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Can Dogs Walk on Water? How about on Solar Blankets?

I didn’t see it happen. I was down in the woods scooping dog poo. I thought a heard a water-like sound but I didn’t look up from the task at hand since doggie droppings are extremely hard to see in all the leaf mold. I’ve only been back about an hour since I took my Mom back home yesterday afternoon and just came back this morning. I get done with scooping and glance over at the pool. Here is what I saw:
Lynne Robinson, Hewitt, New Jersey  Lynne Robinson, Hewitt, New Jersey

Bart in the pool, adrift on top of the solar blanket!! Can you believe this???? Poor Bart, I ran for the camera instead of immediately helping him. He didn’t look like he was in distress since he’d already been there for about five minutes or so. He looked pretty happy just floating there. I couldn’t pass up a photo op like that one! At least he wasn’t struggling, or I would have been afraid he’d try to walk on it, come to the edge and plunge headlong into the deep end of the pool, which happens to be 9 feet deep. He saw me heading for him and he started to try and walk on the cover without much success. Hailey was having a fit and running to and fro. She was more upset at Bart’s predicament than Bart was! [Mom, Mom, Bart’s in the pool, what’s he doing in there??? Can I jump in and help him?] I just pulled the cover over to the edge of the pool until he could get a grip on the side, then he pulled himself up. Yet another crisis averted.

Rick only put the solar blanket on this morning while I was gone, so he must have thought it wasn’t water anymore! Who knows what goes through that silly dog’s mind? I really do wish I could have seen the expression on his face when he realized what he’d done. He must have been quite shocked to feel that cold water on his legs, since he was submerged up to his belly. Around here you just never know what’s going to happen next. Stay tuned.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Rain, Rain Go Away, Come Again Another Day

Let me start by saying I like rain. I WELCOME rain after living in dry Colorado. However, I don’t like rain when I have to drive my Mom back home, a 3.5 hour drive in good conditions. The rain started early this morning before we woke up. I know those of you in Colorado will be amazed and awed by the fact that today we had nearly an inch and a half of rain! We were supposed to leave around noon, but as the rain got heavier and I looked at the weather radar online, we decided to delay taking Mom back until tomorrow. I know I could be considered a weenie, but frankly I am not used to driving in pouring rain on a busy interstate highway for nearly 4 hours. We didn’t HAVE to go, so we didn’t. Tomorrow’s forecast looks better, so we’ll try again. I know Mom is anxious to get home since we have not had TV service since the day she came. Yep, our cable is STILL not back up and running. But that is a whole ‘nother topic altogether. Let’s just say we are getting nowhere fast. Very bizarre.

When we finished filling the pool to where the pool guys told us the level should be, we noticed that it was still about an inch below where it had been previously kept. I can imagine by now we have reached that level just with rainfall, and soon we will have to let water OUT of the pool! HAHA. My swimsuits finally arrived in the rain today. After trying them on tonight I have decided it’s better just to either a) not been seen in or around the pool, or b) go naked.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The Pool Men Cometh!

On Saturday the pool place called to verify that we had an appointment for “an opening” scheduled for Monday. She also made a point to tell us that if we had any excess water on top of our cover that we needed to make sure to have it pumped off before they guys arrived. HA HA. Excess water, right. We’ve only had about 2 inches of rain this week, so yes, of course we had A LOT of water on the top of the cover. What fun. The little bitty pool cover pump that we unearthed in the basement doesn’t work all that great. It takes forever to pump the water off and half the time it gets clogged up with leaves and debris. In short, it’s a real pain in the you-know-where!

So, on Sunday we did our best to get the water off. Rick kept fiddling with it but half the time it wasn’t working. He got out a bigger pump that we had in Colorado for cleaning out the water in our fountain. It didn’t work either. We managed to get the little pump working for awhile but it wasn’t getting the job done. We ended up with a “bucket brigade” where I scooped the water off with a bucket while kneeling down, then stood up and passed the bucket over the chain link fence to either my Mom or Rick, then they took the bucket and dumped it over the wooden fence that surronds the pool deck area into the flower beds. GAWD, I hope the plant survive that green, brackish water! Yucko. Anyway, we were pretty pleased with the amount of water we had removed. Until that night when it rained some more and filled it right back up again! We decided to leave it for the pool guys to take care of.

Well, yesterday was the day of the POOL. RIck worked from home in order to be here when the pool was opened for the first time. For those of you that have seen photos of the pool and the ugly white chain link fence that was around it, be prepared to be absolutely amazed at the transformation! We were told that the original owners had small toddlers, hence the overkill. What we could never understand was why the previous owners never took it down. It would have been hard to enjoy the pool, and surely any poolside activites would be pretty boring [read: no spontaneous throwing of bodies into the pool, etc]. All you could do was go through the gate and right into the pool. You couldn’t even sit on the edge of the pool very easily. Even when we met the neighbors last week, one of the first questions they asked when they found out we had bought the “house with the pool” was, hey, what’s up with that fence? So, we knew one of the first things we were going to do was take it down.

So, yesterday, down it came. Rick started by taking down the chain link first of all. A tedious job at best since all the little connecting wires had to be taken off first of all, and most of those with a pair of wire cutters. Mom and I helped by picking up all the little cut pieces of wire and connectors. Next came the top poles and gates. All that’s left now is the upright poles, and since those are bolted into the concrete, they will take a bit more effort to get rid of. The bolts are all rusted, so will have to be cut off. Still, it made a huge difference. Here is the work in process. Note the ugly winter pool cover!
Lynne Robinson, Hewitt, New Jersey Lynne Robinson, Hewitt, New Jersey

Hey, we’re starting to feel like we’re on HGTV or something on the “Makeover My Pool” segment. Now all that was left was to wait for the pool guys to come. We were really looking forward to the great unveiling since we had no idea what the pool looked like under that awful cover. They arrived pretty much on time, and it was obvious the one guy, Mike, knew our pool because the first thing to come out of his mouth was “Hey, what happened to the fence?” He said he’d been telling the other guy about it on the way over here. Yeah, and I can just imagine what he was telling him. He did tell us that having the fence so closely around the pool made it very hard to take the pool cover off and put it back on. Uh, yeah, that is kind of an understatement. He didn’t say, but I’m pretty sure he was very grateful he didn’t have to work around it again! They started by letting the water out of all the ugly blue weights that were keeping the cover in place. I asked him if there was another way to do this and he told us about safety covers. They fit so tightly over the pool that all those weights were not necessary and best of all, you’re gonna love this one, NO MORE PUMPING THE WATER OFF! SOLD!! Sign us up for one of those! So, when the pool gets “closed” in the fall we are installing one. They brought a big pump with them and were able to get the water off the cover in a lot less time than it would have taken us. Now we were ready for the big unveiling. What does the pool really look like? Are you ready? Do you have your swim suit on? Okay, here it goes:
TA DA!!!!!!!!!!
Lynne Robinson, Hewitt, New Jersey

Isn’t it gorgeous? Don’t ya just love it? We can’t wait to go for a swim, but first we need to put its solar blanket on and get the water temp up a bit. Right now it’s hovering around 60 degrees. BRRRR!!! I know the poles sticking up are pretty ugly right now, but hey, it’s a big improvement, don’t you think? Maybe we can stick Tiki torches in the tops of the poles?

The dogs don’t know what to think. We let them out and they cautiously sniffed it while walking the entire way around it. I splashed some water up on Sailor and he didn’t want any part of it! Some Sailor he’d make! Well, Mr. Pretty Paws doesn’t like to get his feet wet anyway. Talk about a mis-named dog, LOL!  They were really funny. Daisy was brave and stuck her feet in at the stairs. We let eBay [the kitty] out and she was pretty funny too. Here are some of their reactions.

Lynne Robinson, Hewitt, New Jersey Lynne Robinson, Hewitt, New Jersey Lynne Robinson, Hewitt, New Jersey Lynne Robinson, Hewitt, New Jersey Lynne Robinson, Hewitt, New Jersey Lynne Robinson, Hewitt, New Jersey

We actually don’t have the pump running just yet as we needed to add about 4 inches to the water level. We’re doing that over 2 days so we don’t put any pressure on our well. They needed to do a small repair to the pump hoses due to dry rot, but tonight we should be ready to roll! I ordered 3 new swimsuits from L. L. Bean which haven’t arrived yet. Guess I’ll just have to go skinny-dipping if they don’t come soon. We have no idea what the dogs are going to think when we go in the pool. I expect some pretty funny reactions and maybe a few dogs in the pool as well. I wouldn’t put it past Bart, the water dog, to jump right in with us. Right now they pretty much ignore it. More to come, I’m sure!Lynne Robinson, Hewitt, New Jersey

Saturday, June 03, 2006


Half of our TV channels are working but the quality is very poor. The channels missing are all the normal ones like ABC, CBS, NBC.  The cable people came out and stopped in the road [we would never had known they even came except I went out to feed the birds] but they didn’t call until 6:00 this evening to ask if our service had been restored. I said no; she said okay I have a Thursday or Friday open. I said WHAT?????? That would make it a week without real service. NOT acceptable. She said okay, I have Monday but it’s an “open” appointment, meaning they could come anytime. She said our neighbors are reporting service restored. Well goody goody for them! I threatened Direct TV again, but I’m sure she didn’t care one whit. This is getting really ridiculous. If I miss the finale of Apprentice, I will seriously have to think about kicking some butt.

We had pouring rain most of the day. I think it stopped around 2:00 p.m. We’ve gotten more rain in the past few days than I think Colorado has gotten all year to date. I love it, yet it’s almost alien to me to see it literally pouring!

Our Texas Wiener lunch was pretty disappointing. The chili sauce was kind of strange with a weird spice in there. We couldn’t pinpoint exactly what it was. Curry? Cinnamon something? Well, whatever it was, none of us liked it. Our spaghetti and meatballs, however, was a very good meal. We watched a TIVO’d movie out of desperation [Curse of King Tut’s Tomb] and it put my Mom to sleep. Right now it’s on PAUSE with an hour to go and Rick and I are headed off to bed ourselves.

Tomorrow it’s off to the market in Warwick again, this time with Mom. We hope to buy a rabbit to grill. Yummy!

Geez, it sounds like it’s raining again? Yes, it is, just ever so softly and gently. Perfect for sleeping! G,night!

Wait, wait! Just another note. THANK YOU to those few of you that responded to my message regarding who is actually reading this blog. For those loyal members of my blog [be they few] I will keep posting. Thanks for your support.


Welcome, I'm Lynne. You know me better as a 'new' Jersey Girl. But now I've moved once again, this time to North Carolina. Here I write about my thoughts, good food, and of course, dogs.

© 2006-2023 Lynne Robinson All photography and text on this blog is copyright. For use or reproduction please ask me first.

If you’re new to this site and wish to read the blog entries in chronological order, click here.


Login  |  Register
April 2024
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        


Recent Comments

  • C, no I did not know you played the organ, let along playing one in…

    Posted to: ‘I Could Have Been A ...’ by Lynne on 11/17/2023

  • Big sis, but so not fair that I got stuck with the organ! :( Please,…

    Posted to: ‘I Could Have Been A ...’ by Lynne on 11/17/2023

  • Interesting! I never wanted to take ballet lessons even though we had a book about…

    Posted to: ‘I Could Have Been A ...’ by Carolyn Clarke on 11/17/2023

  • Yup! Sadly, no ballet for us. My theory is that Mom probably thought since I…

    Posted to: ‘I Could Have Been A ...’ by Bigsis on 11/17/2023

  • I can absolutely see you wallowing in that chair, the color is so warm and…

    Posted to: ‘The Waller [sic] Around Chair’ by Sandy on 10/03/2023

Comment Leaders

  • Lynne - (1554)
  • Carolyn Clarke - (377)
  • Steve - (351)
  • Susan Weyler - (318)
  • Joyce Roberts - (261)
  • Reya Mellicker - (247)
  • Debra - (230)
  • lettuce - (206)
  • Susan in WA - (205)
  • Jan - (185)

On This Day...



  • Page Views: 8763788
  • Page rendered in 0.2084 seconds
  • Total Entries: 2602
  • Total Comments: 6608
  • Most Recent Entry: 11/17/2023 11:01 am
  • Most Recent Comment on: 11/17/2023 04:04 pm
  • Most Recent Visitor on: 04/21/2024 04:50 am
  • Most visitors ever: 373 on 03/13/2020 06:45 am