Couple of questions from a new guy
Posted: 22 December 2012 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-12-22

Hi all. Well, I think I’ve gotten the bug. grin
So far I’ve made a couple of batches of Moz, and cream cheese. But, I’ve got a couple of questions.

I just got some raw milk for the first time. Yep, it’s yummy. I was going to make a batch of Moz out of it. Do I have to adjust anything with it? I’ve been using CaCl so far. Tried a batch using culture, but didn’t turn out right. User error I’m sure.

About cream cheese, both my batches tasted OK, but it was really tart. Could this be because I let it ripen too long? It was in my kitchen, and it was about 78F at the time. Now that it’s cooler down here in Texas my place has been sitting at about 70-74 most days. Would that make it a bit less tart?

Thanks for the help all, and I look forward to learning more for ya’ll.

Jeff

Posted: 23 December 2012 04:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Hi Jeff, and welcome.  I’m in Arkansas, so I guess we’re sort of neighbors.  I’m not a moz maker, but it would seem that, yes, you are going to have to make some adjustments with raw milk.  Likely it’s got too much cream in it.  You might try skimming off some of the cream (most of it).  As for the cream cheese, it does sound like it ripened too far and developed too much acidity.

But now for the really important question:  when are you going to move up to hard cheese?

Again, nice to have you along.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 23 December 2012 04:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-12-22

Thanks for the response Rich. Yeah, that’s what I figured for the cream cheese. I’m going to try to make another batch Wednesday. It’s supposed to be about 45 here, so it won’t ripen as quick.

I’ve been looking up different recipes for raw mozzarella. It looks like all I have to do is cut out the calcium chloride. I’m planning on trying it out when I get off work today. Wish me luck. grin

Posted: 23 December 2012 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

OK, good luck to you; and have a great Christmas too.  BTW, that goes for everyone.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 23 December 2012 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Welcome JeffBlair !!

merry Xmass everyone !!!

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 25 December 2012 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  360
Joined  2011-02-16

I thought that you were supposed to age a raw milk cheese for 60 days before you eat it. Does that not include mozzarella?

Merry Christmas to everybody too

Signature 

Herbs, Sausage, Beer and Cheese
Tammy

Posted: 25 December 2012 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Mozza is cooked/heated to stretch it.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 26 December 2012 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  360
Joined  2011-02-16

So the heat makes the difference. I didn’t realize that it was heated enough to make a difference. I never made a good mozzarella, so I gave up. Wheat I buy at the store has more flavor to it than what I was making.

Signature 

Herbs, Sausage, Beer and Cheese
Tammy

Posted: 29 December 2012 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

When it is done right then it does taste real good and u wont go back to the other stuff.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 29 December 2012 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-07-03

Neil,  do you have a good recipe for Mozzarella?  I’m having trouble with mine melting nicely….it sort of melts,  but not super gooey the way I want it to.  Yet it stretches wonderfully at the pulling/stretching stage.  I’m wondering if there isn’t enough fat in the milk, or too much, or is it an acidity question.  I ordered an acid testing kit from New England Cheesemaking,  but now that I have it, it looks a little complicated.  Hope that it’s not an acid problem….. What do you think?

Posted: 30 December 2012 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

No I dont, its the stretching process thats the pain.
The best results I got was heating it in a non stick pan and folded it with a wooden spoon.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole