pH meter question
Posted: 20 April 2013 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

My pH meter was acting up badly; and it wasn’t that old.  It would not equilibrate, but kept jumping around to wild numbers.  I thought I would have to replace it, or at least the probe.  Then one day a glob of solids fell out of the tip, and it’s been working quite well since then.  So,  How does one keep that delicate tip clean, without damaging it?  I have never let it dry out, and I’ve tried using a cotton swab to clean it - but it’s very difficult to get anything into that restricted area for a thorough cleaning.  Suggestions?

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 25 April 2013 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

I just keep it soaked in the PH buffer solution. After use i run it under water and make sure no material is sticking to it. The probe is only supposed to last a year from what I have read.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 26 April 2013 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Yeah, I do pretty much the same thing; but there was a considerable buildup that this method did not prevent.  Just looking for a better way - if there is such a thing.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 26 April 2013 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Their is a solution that dissolves dairy material. usually required if hot water is used to clean equipment and it cakes onto the surface.
http://www.cheesemaking.com/CleaningSolutionForpHMeters.html

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

‹‹ A couple of questions      newbie intro! ››