Farmhouse cheese.
Posted: 05 May 2013 12:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2013-05-03

Thought I would share this recipe. it is for my “farmhouse” cheese. It is a simple pressed cheese that we use as our everyday eating and cooking cheese.

Ulf’s farmhouse cheese
-Take 10 litres of whole milk. (Skim milk at 2% fat will work too and it is not bad either).
-Bring to 31 degrees Celsius and add 100ml of Mesophilic starter (Lactococcus lactis- cremoris) also known as any general hard cheese starter suitable for cheddar Etc. You can leave out starter if you don’t have any but you will have to pitch it for longer.
-Keep at 31 degrees for 45 minutes
-Add rennet at 2.5ml per 10 litres milk. Stir constantly for one minute to ensure the rennet is evenly mixed in. (Very, very important)
-Allow to set, this should take 50 minutes.
-Cut into 2cm (ish) cubes
-Stir gently so as not to shatter the curd. Do this every 30 minutes. Maintain 31 degrees.
-Pitch (allow to acidify) to 5.5 then drain whey off. If you don’t have a way of checking acidity, just pitch for five hours.
-Put the pot into a water bath (i.e. the kitchen sink) of hot water around 35 to 40 degrees. Allow it to sit for a couple of hours. it doesn’t matter if the water cools a little over this time.
-Drain of any extra whey and break up the curd into thumb sized pieces. Add about two tablespoons of salt and stir in.
-Press under firm pressure overnight.
-In the morning after you have first had a cup of tea, no hurry, take it from the press and dry it in the fridge until it is touch dry. Then wax.
-Age for four weeks at 12 degrees Celsius if you can. Otherwise just stuff it in the fridge (in the warmest section) for six weeks.

Eat and enjoy. Grate it over pasta, have slices with wine, melt it in sauces, whatever. It is a good utilitarian cheese.

Signature 

“There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more.  The other is to desire less.”
— G. K. Chesterton

http://thecloudfarm.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 05 May 2013 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

So tell me more about this cheese.  5.5 sounds really acidic.  I usually do my cheddars to 5.95.  Does it turn out a bit on the dry, crumbly side; or is the texture smoother?  Have you aged any beyond the one month you mention?  I’m imagining this would be a very, very sharp cheese if aged 6 months or more.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 05 May 2013 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2013-05-03

I have actually aged a few beyond two months and they were quite good. I should point out that I very much like a sharp cheese and there is no reason at all to stop the pitching at a higher acidity if you prefer it that way. I have found this is a very forgiving cheese to all sorts of shenanigans in the making. I have not ever aged to six months though as I always have other cheeses for that purpose- cheddars and parma and the like. Now that you have made me think about it, I am going to put a couple away for a while and see how they go.

Signature 

“There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more.  The other is to desire less.”
— G. K. Chesterton

http://thecloudfarm.blogspot.com.au/

‹‹ I want a curd knife/harp      raw milk ››