Cracking cheeses
Posted: 19 January 2013 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-07-03

Hi Everyone,  I have a quick question for you.  I made a stirred curd cheddar last week and a Pepper Jack yesterday and both cheeses knit together well and came out of the press looking perfect.  Within a couple of hours they were cracking.  I read everything I could find on this subject here on the forum and from what I gather it is a humidity problem.  I live on the prairies and the air is very dry here….do I just do the pot thing with the lid partially on.  Will it take longer to dry before I wax that way?  I just waxed the cheddar with that paint on coating from Holland which Herman and I both use,  and sort of filled in the cracks with that,  assuming that I’ll just cut that out when we open it.  Ideas?

Posted: 20 January 2013 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2011-05-31

Hi Kbjug, indeed try it next time with “the pot thing with the lid partially on”. Maybe you can also buy a cheap hygrometer so you can check the RH…

Signature 

- Herman -

Posted: 20 January 2013 05:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Here’s another thought:  If the surface of your cheese is dry enough to crack, it may be that it would be dry enough to wax or seal earlier.  In my experience, as long as the surface is dry to the touch, it’s usually OK to seal it.  Turn it a couple times during drying to ensure top and bottom are equally dry, and then go for it.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 20 January 2013 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Sounds like drying too fast and the center and outer have a huge contrast in moisture, also Im wondering also if its become too acidic making it crack.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 21 January 2013 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-07-03

@Rich I agree that when the surface is drying out enough to crack it should already have been waxed or should be as fast as possible.  However,  I got up at 2:00 in the morning to quick pull the cheese from the press,  put it on prepared cheese mat and noted in my sleepy state that it was a beautiful cheese.  When I got up approx 5 hours later, it was starting to crack, but I didn’t have time to register that maybe I could stop it.  I did put the pot lid over top after I posted on Saturday and at least there are no new cracks so I started paint waxing it today and we’ll see what happens. 
@ Neil,  could you please explain what you mean about it being too acidic and that making it cracks.  I haven’t too much knowledge on the science behind the cheese…...

Posted: 23 January 2013 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

When it becomes too acid it becomes dry and crumbly, normally happens when left too long before molding. Thats were its important to check the PH meter. Bloomed cheeses are the only ones that like acid.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

‹‹ Terrorism on Milk etc..      Site Upgrade ››