Commercial Camembert Taste Test
Posted: 07 January 2008 07:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-12-07

Received the word this morning that my cheese press is finished and ready for pick-up.
A friend who is heavy into woodworking did the work for me since I don’t have the proper equipment for turning. Yippie skippy!
In the meantime, I’ve been purchasing small amounts of different cheeses from my gourmet cheese store to get an idea if it’s one I’d like to make or not.
This weekend it was a Camembert. The wife and I sampled it on a cracker and we both pretty much agreed that it was way too mild of a cheese. In fact, it seemed tasteless and over powered by the cracker. So I don’t think I’ll be in much of a hurry to make that one.

Cotswold is going to be the next experiment purchase, which I do have a recipe for. I like the idea of the addition of chives and onion for a little added flavor.
I’m hoping it’ll be a little more pronounced in cheese taste, but not in the category of “stinky”!
A little too fussy you say? Maybe, but then again, perhaps all cheese makers pretty much zero in on those cheeses they find to their liking and not just making cheese for the sake of making cheese because it’s a beginner level easy cheese to make? I look at cottage cheese in that light. Now, a strong sharp cheddar, that would be worth a few failed batches in order to perfect the method for in my book!

Posted: 07 January 2008 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

When using vegetable matter in cheese please NOTE that it can and tends to go moldy unless its sealed. So u need to be carefully Maybe use the juice to the mix.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 08 January 2008 04:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

Rick54: Camambert is one of my best cheese i like, i guess that you get the wrong type of camamber (usualy in can)  try to get one in wood box (french) and taste the holly cheese.
Neil: what do u mean by sealed? do u mean waxed?

Posted: 08 January 2008 05:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-12-07

Nabil, my cheese did come in a little round wood box. I believe it was President’s Camembert. It wasn’t runny, but was more like semi soft butter. It wasn’t spreadable.

Posted: 08 January 2008 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

it should not be spreadable, it should be a little runny @ room temp….

Posted: 08 January 2008 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

yup waxed, so for brie/cam I would not recommend it. Even if u put it in the center, u may have a problem because of the moisture content. I thingk its risky unless theirs a specific process that u can find that the industry uses. I know in stores they have a short shelf life.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 09 January 2008 04:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

to sterilise any hard cheese surface by waxing , the cheese should dip in 210F melted wax for 10 seconds, then u will make sure that no mold will grow under the wax.

Posted: 09 January 2008 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

the problem is that their is oxygen/enzymes in the cheese so even in the middle their could be enough comfort for the bad mold. I will check with a prof and ask what he has to say and report back.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole